Everything Went To Hell But It's Back Now I Guess


Last week I got quite sick for a few days. Monday my kid woke up with extreme sensitivity to sound so I think she's been sick. Physical illness led to going way off schedule which indirectly increased our stress. I think physical illness also directly increases emotional stress.
 
I had been joking about the homeschool substitute teacher not showing up. Today I'm thinking about all the physical and habitual things public schools have for getting people back on track after being sick, comparing that with how at home the only thing keeping us on track is me, and wondering how long to expect us to be off kilter after I've been sick.
 
Today is going smoothly! My first Wordle guess only had one grey square, my kid woke up easily, a new registration and a re-registration for online classes went through instead of needing more steps.
 

What I've been reading lately:
  • How we told our daughter we were switching to homeschooling uses an analogy that uplifts both the student and the school when things at school don't work out.
  • Self-care 3/4: Nine Real Rules for Respite is a list that more "self care" lists should look like; it's practical and based in reality.
  • Why Social Skills Training Does Not Help Autistic People I have a lot of thoughts about why non-autistic people teaching autistic people about socializing often misses the mark but today I'm just going to say that starting online D&D campaigns with a little support from parents seems more effective than the well-recommended social skills curricula.
  • Free writing skills assessment and practice with Quill This review has good details. The thing with being an outlier or having a kid who's an outlier is that most reviews don't indicate how things would actually go for *us*.
  • Have you ever wondered if there could be high school credit in coffee beans? lists the questions you could ask and areas you could study starting from the topic of coffee beans. I get the impression that for some homeschooling families generating these questions is a big part of their effort and the academic work follows easily. My family naturally starts asking these questions, seeing these connections, making puns, and using references to other topics but stumbles at the logistics and project management of essays or projects. 
  • Cartridge pleating in the 18th century isn't directly related to homeschooling. But after being sick and getting off track I have a feeling that if I prioritize pursuing my interests my kid might follow along and we both might benefit by making progress *somewhere* instead of being adrift when we are too sick to follow our homeschooling schedule.
  • Neurodiversity, cost, and reducing cognitive load This adds detail to support my sometimes-mantra of “Prioritize doing the things that make other things easier”.
  • Before we both got sick, I was aiming to use small physical projects to build schedule habits that might eventually get us through big intellectual project so we sharpened knives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science!

Doing The Easy Parts Fast Impairs Communication

Facts Versus Skills: Asynchronous Development