State Of The Onion

 I'm likely to write posts more often than I can come up with witty titles, so I might as well make the first weekly update title terrible and get it over with so "State Of The Onion".

My husband and I decided to withdraw our 13-year-old from public school December 19, 2021 but we hadn't decided exactly when would be her last day and we didn't want to talk much about it until we'd notified her school. We're basically hermits so keeping quiet wasn't hard.

Initial goals:
- Mental health
- Emotional resilience
- Sleep schedule
- Appetite
- Computer programming (because the kid wants to)
- Start a blog to publish weekly summaries of what we did (done!)
- Find something (probably a bought curriculum) to use as a framework

Stuff I've read recently:
- A delightful, meme-inspired essay comparing practical accommodations with unneeded changes. Buttering The Cat Is Bad

What we did this week:
We started transitioning to waking up with an alarm. We watched some How To ADHD together and talked about it. She read a novel for ten minutes. 
   
She might not realize that I've been closely observing her physical stress responses and carefully planning communication with her to form habits that:
- parental expectations are often low stress or no stress
- assessing and planning work can be mildly interesting
- many things are not urgent.
Specifically, I am frequently offering her foods she likes, interrupting her leisure pursuits to read her memes I think she'll like, stepping up the chore/hygiene requests she usually finds easy, and asking questions (without judging her answers) about sewing a cat bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science!

Doing The Easy Parts Fast Impairs Communication

Facts Versus Skills: Asynchronous Development